Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Chapter 7: Suite and Salty

"Some place you got here, Dorry!"

Here I thought I'd go diving to look for things to sell...and I ended up finding a merman. And to be honest, he's kind of a jerk.



Well, I guess I shouldn't call him that. He is foul-mouthed and crass, but I don't think he's doing it on purpose.

Or maybe he is, and I don't know it yet.

"So, uh...you looking for roommates?" And there it is.

"Um...Well, don't you need to live in the ocean, uh...Salty, right?"

"That's my name, don't care if you wear it out. And nah, not really. So long as I got a water supply close by, I'm good."


"You sure?"

"Sure I'm sure. Change of scenery never hurt anybody. Besides, I'd like to see how you humans work."

"Oh, so you can tell the other merfolk the differences?"

"Nah, I hate those guys. I just wanna do it for the hell of it."

Come to think of it, this might be a way for me to get better at diving. I mean, who better to teach me than an actual merman?

And maybe he can help with me and Matteo around the resort.

"Well, I don't see why not. I guess, as long as you help out around the house, and do what needs to be done."

"Sweet! Now where do I sleep?"

It's the second time so far in such a short time I've had to do this. It seems like only yesterday that I'd have to worry about a crib and a single bed.

Now I have to get all these. But I don't mind, really. The more, the merrier.


"So I'm afraid you'll have to share a room with Matteo. Is...Is that all right?"

"You underestimate me, Dorry. I once had to squeeze through a hidden passage with three other merfolk all at once."

"Do I...Do I really want to know the story behind that?"

"No you don't."


"And this is my daughter Palmira. Matteo usually takes care of her when I'm out, but chances are you'll have to watch her at some point."

"Shark toy, eh? I'm liking her already!"

So I guess even though Salty's kind of...rough around the edges, he's not too incredibly insensitive.

And even if he is, he's certainly trying to keep it to a minimum. At the least, Salty could be of help for us.

"You know how to change a diaper or anything?"

"Hell, no."

Even if his child-rearing skills might be in need of work.

(End of Chapter 7.)

No comments:

Post a Comment