Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chapter 9: Cold Snap

So according to Dorry and Matty, the resort thing they got going on is doing great.

They said something about how the profits are increasing. I don't know, I'm not an expert on that.


But whenever I ain't helping Dorry out with diving, he's at the resort. This time, Matty went with him to help out.

So they stuck me with babysitting duty for 'Mira. Could've sworn that was Matty's duty, but...eh.

As of right now, she ain't getting into trouble. So I figured I'd help with the chores.


I'm still not really understanding this "laundry" thing, and why it's so damned important. But apparently, I'm not supposed to lounge around their house naked, either.

And wow, is it starting to get cold out. I should know what cold is, I got caught in La NiƱa one time.

I'm getting so cold, I'm starting to forget what time it was. When's the last time I hydrated?

Was it...Was it an hour ago? Two hours? ...This morning? Oh, jeez, I'm losing it. I don't feel so fab, either...

"Ki-HUUURK...!"

Yeah, I've been away from water too long. I am fucked. I am officially fucked.

Well, I guess I had a good run. I mean, I'd rather have died getting tore apart by some of my boys out of mercy, but at least I'm not getting murdered by one of the other Merjerks or something.

It's really just a matter of waiting here until I'm some withered-out husk with scales.

...Or maybe not. Now I'm hearing splashing and yelling.


"Salty! Salty, you all right?"

"Eh-huh? What, uh...What time is it?"

"Teodor asked me to come check up on you and Palmira. I don't think he realizes how important it was that I did."

Yeah, all right. I was still disoriented. Lack of water does that shit to ya. I think I should at least try to play it cool.

"Eh...Is the laundry dry yet? I was...I was waiting for it to dry...I think. I kinda forgot."


"Salty, I just found you out here passed out, and all you can worry about is the laundry?"

Dammit, I don't need Matty to worry about me.

"Okay, it's good. It's good. Still drying, but it's good." I don't even know why I'm playing the stupid card. I guess I don't need a human's pity?


...It's pity, right? That's what he's doing? Showing pity? Whatever the hell it is, I don't like it. Can he quit with it?

"Salty, how long were you out there?"

"Not that long, I swear! I just, maybe I forgot to hydrate earlier today. That's all." Can he drop the subject already? I don't like where this is going.

"'That's all'? Salty, from what I saw, you were passed out in freezing temperatures. I don't think Teodor would've wanted to see you as some kind of popsicle."


"You gotta be careful next time. Try getting to water every couple hours or so, just in case. Comprende?"

I don't know what the hell that last word means, but okay.

And why are they even so worried about me, anyway? Most people would drop me like a hot rock when they realized I wasn't exactly their dream come true.

What's so special about me to them, huh? Besides helping Dorry out with his diving, what else makes me important to these bunch of humans?

(End of Chapter 9.)

No comments:

Post a Comment