Thursday, July 3, 2014

Chapter 8: A Real Treasure, ain't he?


"Salty, how am I going to communicate with you down there? Even in a suit, it'd be hard to hear."

"Eh, don't worry about it. Either talk with your hands, or e...enun...ci...Talk real loud and clear."

It's the first time I've gone diving with Salty since he's moved in with us. He asked me if that were really a good idea, given that I can't be underwater as long as he can.

I told him it wasn't a problem. If anything, he'd give me a few pointers.

"But," he told me, "don't come crying to me when you're suffering from the bends."

Nasty comment or not, he's still good at this.



"Mmph?!"

"Ah, don't worry about this guy. He knows you're with me."

"Uh..." Normally, I figured anything was fair game for sharks down here. But so far, they haven't attacked me or Salty.

"Look, Dorry. The only way my boys would attack you was if you massively pissed me off. And I highly doubt that's gonna happen. Trust me. I raised most of these guys since they were pups."

I guess I should listen to him. At the least, I think it'd be plausible, him being a merman. I don't know how life works down here.

Can the other Merfolk control sea creatures like he can? What if he's going to use them to attack me at some point in the future?

That's possible, too. I mean, I know next to nothing about this guy.


"Ehhh..."

"What? What are you looking at? That chest? And you don't think you can open it?"

"Uh-uh."

"Pssh. Lightweight."

...Maybe Florita and Alfonso were right. Maybe I am too trusting of others. I mean, I essentially took in two virtual strangers, in an effort to find help for Palmira and I.

I don't want to admit it, but I guess they're right. And thinking that upsets me so much. Aye, soy estúpido.


But who else could I turn to? The fact I managed to find help at all, well, I should be grateful for that. So far, Matteo and Salty haven't given me any reason not to trust them.

Either way, I guess I shouldn't let my guard down. Last time I did that, it didn't end well.

"Yeah, we got some nice shit in this one. Go ahead and loot, Dorry."

"Uh-huh!"


Somehow, though, I think that if Salty really did want to do something bad to me, he'd do it right now. He could yank off my oxygen tank and leave me to die, or order one of his sharks to attack me.

But he doesn't seem to be thinking of doing it.

"Hurry up. I don't want the others to find out I'm helping a human take Mermadic treasure."

At least, he's helping me get further in my career, and that's a positive trait, right?

But he sure doesn't seem to be on good terms with the other Merfolk. I wonder what's up with that.

(End of Chapter 8.)

No comments:

Post a Comment