Thursday, July 24, 2014

Chapter 14: Birthday Blues

(Note: Santana is the name of the alien child Teodor had in the game.)

The months have flown by. It seems like only yesterday Palmira came into the world. Matteo was right. They do grow up too fast.


"Uh oh, Palmira! Guess what day it is!"

I think she knows. She can't form a completely coherent response, but I bet she knows.

As happy as I am for her, I still can't help but think this whole thing is bittersweet. This is Palmira's first birthday without her mother here to celebrate it with us.

We do have Matteo and Salty instead, but it's not really the same. I guess I'm still not over Florita leaving me just yet.

I know I should be, but it's just so hard to move on. I keep thinking she's going to come back, but I know that isn't going to happen.


But I guess when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. And not squeeze them into people's eyes like Salty keeps wanting to say.

I'll have to explain to Palmira why Mommy's isn't here, though.

But otherwise, it's time to blow out candles.


I just have to accept that Florita's gone. But can Palmira? I mean, Florita pretty much left when her daughter needed her the most.

I don't want to be bitter. I'm trying not to be bitter. But it's hard.

Not to mention that I don't want to burden the guys with my love life anymore. They've heard how much of a loser I am when it comes to this sort of thing.

They don't hold it against me, but I doubt they want to hear it anymore.

For now, I just want to celebrate my daughter's birthdays.

And I figure Palmira isn't too happy with having to share her birthday with her sister Santana.


At least, we're guessing that's what that means. But if she's upset, she didn't say anything about it.

If anything, it meant a chance to get more birthday cake.

I still can't really wrap my head around the idea of an alien baby. Santana is my child all the same, though. She is just as much my daughter as Palmira is.

It's weird to have a green child, but that's beside the point. None of us have a problem with it.

And Santana is just like any other toddler at that age.


One day she'll wonder why she looks different to big sister Palmira, and I'll have to explain it to her. But for now, both of my daughters are older.

I have that, so I'm happy. For now, anyway.

(End of Chapter 14.)

No comments:

Post a Comment