Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chapter 11: Green around the Gills


"Hey, Salty's been really quiet since the other night. Think something's wrong?"

"If it is, he's not saying anything. He was muttering like crazy when he got back, though. He seemed real pissed about something."

"Wonder what."

A lot of weird things have been happening lately. It's not just Salty, either.

"Come to think of it, where'd you go last night?"

"You know, I can't remember."

For whatever reason, I know I went out to the store to buy things for dinner, then I saw bright lights, and then...I don't remember anything after that.

Something had to have happened, though.

"Huh?"

"Teodor. You all right, hombre?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just...something seems off."

Talk about an understatement. I haven't been myself lately. I feel like whatever I can't remember from the other night, is what's making me feel weird.

But I can't tell Matteo or Salty.

Or more accurately, I couldn't until recently.


"Hey, Dorry. You've been gettin' kinda hefty lately. What gives?"

"I wouldn't know myself, Salty."

"Have you been in my special kelp? If you are, stay out of my special kelp. And if you're not, then...don't look under my bed, okay? There's...there is definitely no special kelp under there."

I don't even know what Salty was talking about...Unless it was what Matteo found the other day that made him sick.

But he was right. I had noticed I was putting on weight. It was gradual, but I noticed it.

It made things a little complicated, I'll admit. I had to stop scuba diving for a while. I had a hard time picking Palmira up, it was just...weird.

Then it got even weirder.


"Teodor. You all right in there, hombre?"

"Yeah, you been in there a while. I told you to stay out of my special kelp!"

I remember waking up early in the morning in serious pain. I thought it meant I just had to go to the bathroom really badly.

That's...well, that wasn't the problem, it turned out later on. The problem was something I didn't think would ever happen.

"Uh, hey...Matteo?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Uh, you want a raise, or something? Because I think you might have some more work to do after today."

Up until this point, I never really believed in aliens. But it's hard to remain skeptical when I'm holding one.


"Well, I'll be...So that's what was bothering you."

"Apparently so."

It's going to be hard to explain to Palmira why she's got a green half-sister when they grow up. Now I have to be worried about any jealousy that might come up between then when they're older.

Right now, though, I'm just really confused. I guess I need to have another crib ordered, then go to sleep and have Matteo keep an eye on her.

(End of Chapter 11.)

No comments:

Post a Comment