Thursday, August 28, 2014

Chapter 24: Confrontation


"Sleep well, Maya?"

"I certainly did! I never knew human's beds could be so comfortable." So far, this relationship has gotten off to a great start. Maya listens to me, always contributes to the conversation, and a lot of other amazing things.

Really, I think I can get over Florita after all. And so far, Maya and Salty have been behaving.

"Um, Teodor...Were you expecting company today?"

"No, why?"

"There's someone waiting outside. A man."




Really? Right when things start looking up for me, he's got to show up? It's almost like he knows when I'm actually happy, or something.

And I know Matteo and Salty are none too glad to see him either.

He'd better not have found out I actually own a resort now.


"What do you want this time, Alfonso?"

"Oh, nothing really. Just simply wishing to see how your life is going. Perhaps seeing your latest business endeavor?"

"Yeah, last time you did that, it didn't end well for me. Cut to the chase, why are you really here?"

I can hear Salty and Matteo behind me. It's like I thought, they don't want Alfonso here either.


"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just walk over and waste this dick right now."

"Easy, novio. Let Teodor fight his own battles."

At least this time I have them with me. I couldn't imagine how lonely I felt the last time I was in this situation.

That said, at least they know when to stay out of this.

"So tell me, Teodor. How's your daughter doing?"

"She's doing fine. Keeping her grades in school up. Why?"

"By any chance, did you notice her absence this morning?" Why is Alfonso talking about Palmira, unless...


"You...You didn't!"

"Isn't this fun, Teodor? Now you can enjoy a fun game of hide-and-seek with your daughter! I'm sure it'll be a joy when you find her! So long!"

Why? First he takes my wife, and my resort plans, and now he's taken my daughter! Is this some sort of sick game to him?


"So you got a good reason, or...?"

"Do what you're going to do." I don't know what those two are planning, but...

"Salty! Salty, where are you going?"

"Eh, well, put it this way, Dorry! There is an ass in the vicinity that I believe is in need of a kicking. And I'm going to have to be the one to administer that ass-kicking. So...See you tonight, hopefully!"

What is going on? If it's not one thing, it's another. Does Matteo know what Salty's planning to do? I don't know what Salty's planning to do.

It can't be good, but then, what am I supposed to do?


"Matteo, what if Alfonso's telling the truth? What if something's happened to Palmira?!"

"Relax, hombre. I'm sure she can't be too far. She has to still be on the island. Just let me look for her, and you take Maya somewhere nice for a while."

"I...all right." I still can't believe something's probably happened to my little girl. But Matteo's not given me any reason not to trust him.


"Sounds like Matteo and Salty have this problem under control. I guess we'd better do as he says. I should just call a babysitter for Santana, and look for a nice place for you."

"Of course! What did you have in mind?"

Whatever fates are out there, please let my daughter be all right. Please let Matteo find her.

(End of Chapter 24.)

No comments:

Post a Comment