Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Chapter 23: Into the Night


"Uncle Matteo? Are Daddy and his new girlfriend gonna get married?" 

"That's hard to say, chica. They do seem to like each other a lot. And so far he's said he's not regretting it." 

"But what if they do?" 

"I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, Palmira. For now, let's just focus on your homework." 

Daddy's got a new girlfriend. But I wanted him and Mommy to get back together. I don't hate Maya, but...

Does Mommy know? Should I find her and tell her? Will Alfonso show me where she lives? 

I think I should try it. 



"I know it's late, but...Is Alfonso there?" I don't know any other time to call other than when everyone else is asleep. I know they're all sleeping because I hear Uncle Salty snoring. 

Hopefully Alfonso won't be cranky if I woke him up. 

And I hope Daddy and the others don't find out what I'm doing. 


"So you're quite determined to meet up with your mother, aren't you, child?"

"Uh-huh." Should I have gone to his house instead? But then I'd be out past curfew. Was calling him now such a good idea? I don't want anyone else to wake up...

"You do realize that your mother likely will not be awake at this hour?"

"I know. Can you still take me to her?" 


I don't like the way he's smirking at me. 

"How about this instead, child? I'll take you someplace else, and come morning, I will show you where your mother lives. Do we have a promise?" 

Alfonso really wants me to keep a lot of promises. I suppose one more wouldn't hurt. 

"Of course!" 



"Follow me, then." 

(End of Chapter 23.)

No comments:

Post a Comment