Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chapter 19: Search


I don't understand.

I know some girls' parents divorce when they're still young, but Daddy never tells me about what happened to Mommy.

He only says, "Mommy left us for someone else." He never says anything else about it. I like living with Daddy, and Uncle Matteo, and Uncle Salty, but...


Sometimes I wish I had Mommy here.

Why won't anyone tell me why she left? Was it because of me? Someone has to know why.



Sometimes Daddy talks about a man named "Alfonso". I don't know how they know each other, but I know Daddy doesn't like him.

Still, I think Alfonso may know what happened. But I can't tell Daddy and my uncles what I'm doing.


It says Alfonso lives in the islands. And it says he's also really rich! I think I've seen his daughter at school. I don't talk to her, but I know who she is.

What does he know? And why does Daddy hate him so much?

I want to know.


"Hi there! I'm Palmira! Are you Alfonso Alto?"

"The one and only, child! How may I help you on such a lovely day as today?" He seems nice enough. I wonder why he and Daddy don't get along.

"Um...Do you know a lady named Florita Hernandez? I'm looking for her."

"Oh, my dear child, I know Miss Hernandez quite well! I suppose she and I are...quite well 'acquainted'. You wouldn't happen to be her daughter, would you?"


"I am." Why am I suddenly not feeling right around him? The way he's talking kind of scares me. He's scarier than Uncle Salty.

"Well, child, I'll tell you what. Talk to me again sometime in a week, and I'll show you where she lives. Do we have a promise?"

Daddy always says never to break a promise. He says it to the others all the time, and he's even said it to me! It's never a good thing to break one, so...

"I promise."

(End of Chapter 19.)

No comments:

Post a Comment