Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chapter 18: Full Circle


What's gotten into Salty and Matteo lately?

Salty never wants to go swimming with me anymore, and I'd really appreciate his help sometimes.

I don't even want to go scuba-diving at night without him. Actually, I have to coax him into coming with me. It used to be the other way around.

Now, granted, it's not like I come home empty-handed. But I really appreciate the companionship.

And not only that, it's...Well, it seems like those two are spending a lot more time together lately. I know Palmira is older and doesn't really need Matteo to watch her, but...




"Hey, guys. Where's Matteo?"

"Ah, hell if I know. Said he was going to some store or something. It was on another island, or...I didn't pay attention to what he said."

"Uncle Matteo went to the consignment store."

"Yeah, that's where he went!"

I really wish Salty would keep his pants on when Palmira's awake. I'd like it if he knew the idea by now that he's pretty much exposing himself by going around half-naked.

But if he's here...


"Hey, Salty. Something I've been meaning to ask you..."

"Shoot."

"Lately my bed's been smelling funny. Like, how do I describe this...It smells like you slathered barbecue sauce all over yourself, and then rolled around in the sheets." Not the best choice of words, but I suppose I'll go with it.

"How do you know I don't do that? How do you know what I might or might not do when you're out scuba-diving?"

"Because I would know if you did that." Okay, this is really getting nowhere. I may as well just address the elephant in the room.

"Salty...Is there something going on that I don't know about? Something between you and Matteo?"

"Like...?"


I don't think I've seen him like this before. Is he...ashamed of whatever it is?

"Yeah, okay! Maybe Matty and I fooled around in your bed. That's what humans call it, right? Fooling around?"

I've pretty much decided that when Salty says 'maybe', he means 'definitely'. But to think, two of my friends...

"So I was right."


"Wait a sec. You ain't mad about it?"

"Of course not. Why, should I be? Granted, I sort of wished the two of you picked a different place to do it, but..." Then what? I'd be complaining about why the shower smells funny.

"Just, you know. Maybe find a better place? I know your beds aren't big enough, but still..."

"No, it's cool. It's cool. We'll do it someplace else."

I don't think Salty expected my reaction. Must be all the TV he watches that has the exact opposite result happening.

But really. I'm not going to judge. If Matteo and Salty are in love, then they're going to be in love.


I just hope they don't let it get in the way of everything else.

(End of Chapter 18.)

No comments:

Post a Comment