Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Chapter 1: Meet the Nanny

Maybe I wasn't detailed enough.

Maybe I could've asked for some basic qualifications. Like, basic child care or something.

Now if someone does respond to the ad, I may end up with some random sleazeball. No one I'd want near Palmira.


Ay, soy muy estúpido. I didn't think this through.

This is just so nerve-wracking. It's always been me to look after Palmira. Now I have to ask someone else to do it for me.

And I don't have time to take it back, because I heard the doorbell just now.

It could be anybody. Probably some teenager pulling a prank, a known criminal, or even...

Him?




"Hi!" I have to at least be nice. Give him the benefit of that.

"Hey. I'm here for that ad you posted?"

"Sure, but aren't you a little...under-dressed?" Not every day someone shows up for a job interview in swim trunks. But then, I guess it shouldn't matter. It's an island, and all.

"Oh, sorry. Yeah, you got a bathroom I can change in?"

Well, this whole thing has gotten off to an unusual start, I'll say that.


"So I'm really hoping that you won't mind this whole 'nanny thing." He seems nice enough. "I mean, I figure I need someone to take care of her while I'm out doing what I'm hoping to do."

"Nah, I don't mind in the least. It's a necessary evil, I get that." Is it too late to ask him about any past job employments?

"Thanks, um...Lo siento, what was your name again?"

"The name's Matteo. But you can call me Matt, or whatever suits you."

"Okay, Matteo. You want to see her?" It's only fair to get them acquainted now. Granted, I'll have to interrupt Palmira's naptime, but I'm sure she won't be too fussy.



And I guess my fears are unfounded.

"This is her, right?"

"Yup, that's her." Normally, Palmira does get cranky when her nap gets interrupted, but she doesn't seem to mind right now.

"Well, mucho gusto, little lady. Looks like I'll be taking care of you." That being said, Palmira does seem confused. She was probably expecting her mother, not Matteo.


So I tried to explain it to her.

"Honey, this is Matteo. He's going to be your caretaker while Daddy goes out and earns money." She can't really talk yet, so for all I know, she probably thinks I'm speaking gibberish.

But at least I know she'll be in good hands.


"So I got you a room next to hers. You know, in case something goes wrong and you need to get to her. I know's it's nothing special, but-"

"Nah, don't worry. If anything, it's more than I deserve, hombre."

"Really? That's good. I'm trying to keep spending at a bare minimum. Until I get some money coming in, I'll have to cut back."

"I understand. I figure I don't really need anything fancy."

"Thanks. No really, I...I can't thank you enough for this, Matteo." I hope I'm not creeping him out or anything. I'm not good with hiring people for this sort of thing.

But if he was, he didn't say anything about it.


I don't think I can express how grateful I am to have someone helping me in this. He wasn't what I was expecting.

But he's got himself some qualifications. Maybe he's better than I thought.

(End of Chapter 1.)

No comments:

Post a Comment