Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chapter 27: Riding a New Wave


"So I hope it's no problem that we were here a while. I wasn't sure how you felt about festivals, and today they were pretty empty..."

"I'm not bothered in the least! It's nice to see what humans like to do for fun."

I hope the others are all right. It's been hours, and I just now got a message from Matteo. He said that he had good news for us when he got back.

That can only mean he found Palmira! Now I just need to know if Salty's all right.

"How about you go and see if there's anything else you want to try here?" I figure if Maya gets a handle of land, it'll be better for her. I don't know what her limits are when it comes to hydration, and-

"Teodor? Is that you?"




I'll be honest. I didn't think I'd see my ex-wife again. I tried contacting her, but she never replied back.

But to see her here again, and especially in person...This can't be real.

"Florita? Long time no see!"

"Yeah. Listen Teodor, I..."

"I think I may have made a mistake in leaving you. I didn't...I guess I just wasn't thinking things through. So..."

Am I actually hearing these words from her? I'm not dreaming, am I?

"Teodor, I...I want us to be together again. I want to be there for Palmira. I want things to be like they were before this all happened."


It's weird. For so long, I was hoping to hear those words. I'd wanted so desperately to have her come back.

And now? All these emotions are coming back. I can't name all of them. I'm remembering how I felt when she left me.

I was so confused, so upset. And now that she wants to be with me again. I'm feeling that way again. But this time...


"Are you fucking kidding me?!"

I don't think I've ever been this angry. Not with Alfonso, and especially not with Florita. But all this anger I had bottled up inside...I guess I finally blew.

"You left me for a man that ruined my life! You left me to raise our daughter by myself! You threw me aside for another man, and now all of a sudden you want me back?!"



She must not have been expecting my reaction. For all I know, she thought I was going to welcome her back with open arms.

But now that things are better for me...I can't just keep everything unsaid. She needs to know exactly what she did to me.


"I had to take care of Palmira without you. I had to get back onto my own two feet again. Palmira is growing up without you there."

"I got my own resort now. I found the two greatest friends a guy could ask for. I have a new woman that I love very much."

"I'm finally getting my life back together...and now you think you can just waltz back into my life and tear me to pieces again?!"

"What are you...? No, that's not what I meant! I just thought maybe you'd want to get back together! Isn't that what you wanted?"

I have to say, Florita's timing seems oddly coincidental. Just when things are looking up for me...

"It was, once...But not anymore."


There isn't any more anger now. I think now it's just disappointment and...pity?

Why now? Why did she decide to come back now? I don't really understand.

"Florita...Please. You have to realize. I'm building a new life now, with Palmira, my friends, my girlfriend..."

"Teodor, what are you saying?!"

"I'm saying...That there's no place for you anymore. There had been before, but...Please, you have to understand. There was a time when I couldn't stand living without you. But now things have changed."

Am I actually able to let go of her? I know that it seems impossible to fathom, but I think I actually am.

"Please, Florita. I'm living my life now. Shouldn't it be time you live yours? Without me?"


"Teodor, are you almost ready to go home?"

"Almost, Maya. Florita...I'm not going to keep you from spending time with Palmira, but...I don't think we can ever be together as a couple again. Just...Please, live your life without me."

I never thought this day would come. I was finally able to let her go, and move on. I used to be thinking she and I would be together again, but now?

Granted, I never thought I'd get out of the hole I was pushed into. But I had help. I wasn't doing it alone.

When I got home, it was absolutely wonderful.


I was so happy to see my daughter was all right. Matteo and Salty were back, telling me what was going on while I was gone.

This is better than I ever imagined. I can officially move on with my life now. I don't know what the future holds, but I hope it keeps looking up.

And I hope...


I hope Florita can move on, as well.

(End of Chapter 27.)

No comments:

Post a Comment