Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chapter 26: Turning the Tides

How'd I know this was the place?

Call it a gut feeling. Something just told me to look here.


Weird thing is, this could've been where I wasted my life away. At least until I met Teodor.

I owe that guy a lot. If it weren't for him, who knows what would've happened with me.

To be honest, I didn't want to come back here, but I need to know if she's here. I promised Teodor that I'd keep an eye on Palmira, and damned if I'm going back on my word.




And I was right. There she is. Along with someone else I know.

"Lopita? That you?" I remember her. Man, we go way back, if I remember correctly. I know her parents, at least.

But what bothers me is why she's here with Palmira.

"What are you doing all the way down here?"


"Matteo! I...Well, if I knew, I'd tell you! All I know is that my husband told me to keep an eye on this girl. He said he'd take care of her, but he isn't back yet!"

"You're really going to listen to him? After what he's done to you?" I don't really get the whole story, but apparently Mister Alto was cheating on her. And from what she's saying, she hasn't figured it out.

"Like what? What has he done to me?"

"You really don't know, chica? About him and Miss Hernandez?" I'm starting to see the look in her eyes. She's finally putting the pieces together.

"What?! He said...He said they were just co-workers! That no-good, lying, cheating...!"


"Come on, Ashley. We're going home. And leave the girl here with him."

That was easier than I thought. I was worried Lopita was going to bite my head off or something.

But hopefully she can get things turned around.

"Uncle Matteo!"

And I can get Palmira back home. Now Teodor doesn't have to worry about her anymore. I'll try to send him a text message as soon as we get back.

I hope he's doing all right.

(End of Chapter 26.)

No comments:

Post a Comment